PWCS is please to announce two new school lunch programs - Self-Serve Garden & Fruit Bars and Make Your Own Salads!
Research and experience shows that kids increase their consumption of fruits and vegetables when given a variety of choices in a self-serve environment. We’ve seen this increase first-hand in our middle and high schools. This type of independence helps to prepare students for a lifetime of healthy eating.
Self-serve also increases the likelihood that students will try new fruits and vegetables. For example, they can try one celery stick instead of committing to an entire portion as one of their choices. When kids try new fruits and vegetables, they incorporate greater variety into their diet, which ensures they get all the nutrition their body needs.
Students may select unlimited vegetables from the self-serve cold bar, and up to ½ cup of fruit. Visually, ½ cup of fruit is the size of a tennis ball.
A MYO Chef Salad lunch includes the following:
- Unlimited vegetables from our self-serve cold bar
- ½ cup of fruit for elementary students and 1 cup of fruit for middle students and adults
- Lean protein: 1 protein choice from the hotline OR 2 protein choices from the coldline
- Hotline options include: chicken fajitas, chicken tenders, chili, crispy chicken, popcorn chicken, pulled pork, spicy beef, tuna salad and MORE!
- Coldline options include: diced chicken, egg, ham, turkey, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and roasted chick peas
- A piece of our homemade bread or sliced fruit bread
- Your choice of milk
- Your choice of salad dressing
Sound delicious? Come join us for lunch!
We look forward to serving you!
Visit our website, www.pwcsnutrition.com, for more information and a helpful video with tips on how to make your students trip to the garden and fruit bar efficient, safe and tasty! Contact School Food and Nutrition Services at 703.791.7314 with questions.