King Elementary School
Title 1 Family Engagement Policy
Prince William County Public Schools’ (PWCS) Title 1 program is established to improve student achievement and help all students meet the objectives of the PWCS Language Arts and Mathematics curricula and the Virginia Standards of Learning.
To improve student achievement, Enterprise Elementary School will ensure effective involvement of families and will support a partnership among the school, parents, guardians and community to improve student achievement in the following ways:
School Family Engagement Policy
- Review the Title 1 Family Engagement Policy jointly developed and distributed to parents.
- Provide all parents with information about the schools’ participation in Title 1 at the Annual Meeting and inform parents of their right to be involved.
- Invite and encourage all parents to attend all Title 1 Family meetings and events. Inform parents that the school may provide supports to attend meetings.
- Involve family participation in the planning, review and improvement of the schools’ Title 1 plan.
- Provide parents with information about the Title 1 program, the curriculum, academic assessments, and students’ expected proficiency levels.
- Notify the PWCS Title 1 Office if the Title 1 Family Engagement Policy is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children.
Shared Responsibilities for High Student Achievement
- Invite parents to volunteer, observe and/or participate in their child’s class and school.
- Include a schedule for Parent Teacher Conferences and report cards.
Building Capacity for Engagement
- Provide assistance to parents to understand the state’s academic content, achievement standards and assessments.
- Communicate with families on a regular basis regarding their child’s progress in school including school performance information and student assessment results.
- Provide materials and training to help parents support their children’s academic progress.
- Develop, in consultation with families a Home-School Compact, stating how school and families will share the responsibility for high student performance. Review the Compact annually with families and school staff.
- Educate teachers, pupil services personnel, principals, and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and how to communicate and work with parents as equal partners.
- Coordinate and integrate parent engagement programs and activities with ESOL.
- Ensure that information related to school and parent programs, meetings, and other activities is sent to parents in a format that is practicable and in a language that parents can understand.
- Distribute annual parent surveys encouraging parents to respond to additional support needed to participate in parent engagement.
- Provide opportunities to participate in the school’s Parent Advisory Council and PTA and PWCS Title 1 Family Engagement Council.
- Provide opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency and parents with disabilities, in a format that is practicable and in a language that parents can understand.
Important Dates 2016-2017